Reliant’s first Scimitar was a coupé based upon the styling of a Daimler SP250 prototype and the chassis of a Reliant Sabre. First displayed in 1964 it was powered by a 2.6-litre Ford straight six from the Ford Zephyr and Zodiac. In order to keep cosst down, many components in addition to the engine were existing ones originally designed for competitor models.
In 1966 the SE4A was replaced by the SE4B, with a 3.0 L V6 Ford “Essex” engine. A year later, in September 1967, the cheaper SE4C was introduced with a 2.5-litre version of the same engine and a reduction of £105 on the recommended retail price
Only Just over 1000 SE4s were produced with very few on the road in the world today.
This example has been part of our client’s collection for a number of years and during that time the vehicle has had an engine rebuild , a complete repaint and the interior trim refurbished.
This is what Autocar said about the new 3 litre Scimitar GT on 12th January 1967:
At a Glance – High performance 2+2 coupe. Lusty, low revving engine in conjunction with high gearing gives effortless cruising at three-figure speeds. Good gear change, but rather wide ratios. Smooth, light clutch. Ride and handling very good, and much improved over the earlier car. Light, accurate steering and first class brakes with powerful servo. Ventilation improved but still not ideal. Fuel and range very good”.
A fantastic opportunity to purchase one of the only known examples on New Zealand roads (three others known but under restoration).
BAINS CLASSIC MOTOR HOUSE is a low volume boutique classic car broker. Viewing of vehicles is by appointment only in our North Canterbury located Motor House.